Monday, June 29, 2009

RSS

RSS was something of a mystery to me before I actually signed up to some to see how it worked. Now I am at risk of being over subscribed:

For work-related things I have 'Library link of the Day' which serves up a daily article relating to developments in the information industry; In Through the Outfield put together by the manager of the British Library's Business & IP Centre - interesting for following developments in the business information world and what the BL is doing to encourage entrepreneural new businesses. I also subscribe to Mary Ellen Bates's monthly Bates InfoTips, but that's by email.

For tango-related things my favourite RSS feed is to 2xtango, devoted to tango goings on in Buenos Aires. It's updated daily and nearly always includes a YouTube snippet. It's love these little videos for their inspirational value.

ABC Radio National and the BBC are my other sources of RSS feeds. They both offer a cornucopia of audio via podcast rss feeds. Nearly all ABC RN programmes are offered as podcasts, including my favourites - Background Briefing, Ramona Koval's Book Show, Lingua Franca, Street Stories and Radio Eye. BBC Radio 3 offers Arts & Ideas as podcasts to which one can subscribe via RSS. BBC World Service has the Interview which is also interesting. All these programmes now flow into my laptop as if by magic, get transferred to my elegant diminutive Ipod by more magic known as 'synching', and taken to bed for feast of late night listening.

No comments: